A&H

Advantage Sin Bin offences

bester

RefChat Addict
Inspired by another post.

Player comments a sin bin offence, you play advantage and he commits another sin bin offence.
What's the sanctions?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Inspired by another post.

Player comments a sin bin offence, you play advantage and he commits another sin bin offence.
What's the sanctions?
depends on a lot but I'd treat it as the same incidence of dissent, if you are able to verbally tell him he's due a caution and sin bin then it's a double offence and he cannot return but can be substituted IIRC. (assuming he has no other cautions yet). it will depend on the double offence

The core point is when does the sin bin start?

If it's when the ref thinks "that's a sin bin" then this is covered by the idea that he has committed a further offence during a temporary dismissal period, which means he's done for the game and cannot be replaced, effectively a red card (although we don't show a red card because....?)

On the other hand, if you consider it to be when the card is shown, I think you have to treat it as two separate cautions. There's no reason they would be served sequentially, so I think you send them to the side for 10 minutes, after which they can be replaced.

The law says "A temporary dismissal is when a player commits a cautionable offence and is punished by an immediate suspension[...]", so for me, option 1 is most correct, but I'm open to arguments for 2.

Or, you take options 3 - treat it all as one incident of dissent and just give them 10 minutes. Or option 4 - decide it's risen to the level of OFFINABUS and show a straight red, depending on what's been said.

The core point is when does the sin bin start?

If it's when the ref thinks "that's a sin bin" then this is covered by the idea that he has committed a further offence during a temporary dismissal period, which means he's done for the game and cannot be replaced, effectively a red card (although we don't show a red card because....?)

On the other hand, if you consider it to be when the card is shown, I think you have to treat it as two separate cautions. There's no reason they would be served sequentially, so I think you send them to the side for 10 minutes, after which they can be replaced.

The law says "A temporary dismissal is when a player commits a cautionable offence and is punished by an immediate suspension[...]", so for me, option 1 is most correct, but I'm open to arguments for 2.

Or, you take options 3 - treat it all as one incident of dissent and just give them 10 minutes. Or option 4 - decide it's risen to the level of OFFINABUS and show a straight red, depending on what's been said.
I think I agree with this actually. I had this idea of being fair to the player by only having them dismissed if they had been warned but I wouldn’t not give a second yellow if it was a different offence so think you’re bang on about option 1.

Given that the only sin bin offence in competitions I officiate on is Dissent, there’s no way in the world I’m surprising everyone with a double-whammy decision. I can justify it to myself as one prolonged burst of dissent. Should the player escalate that into OFFINABUS before I’ve got back to him with the yellow and a 10-minute sit down, then that’s on him and entirely justified for me to go red instead.

The question I asked myself when thinking about the OP was “what would my game expect”, and I’m sure that’s how I would deal with it in the scenario described above.

Given that the only sin bin offence in competitions I officiate on is Dissent, there’s no way in the world I’m surprising everyone with a double-whammy decision. I can justify it to myself as one prolonged burst of dissent. Should the player escalate that into OFFINABUS before I’ve got back to him with the yellow and a 10-minute sit down, then that’s on him and entirely justified for me to go red instead.

The question I asked myself when thinking about the OP was “what would my game expect”, and I’m sure that’s how I would deal with it in the scenario described above.
IMHO, this is almost always the right answer. I can craft scenarios where the double sanction would be appropriate, but they aren’t particularly plausible.

I see your point, but conversely, I'm also not massively inclined to do the player a favour when we're talking about two incidences of dissent clear enough to both require a sin bin. The player isn't likely to see the card come out and think how lucky they are to see it only once!

Valid point, and agreed that it isn’t our place to do anyone a favour if they’ve clearly offended twice. My justification is that a player popping off in a dissentful manner, advantage played, and they continue to do so… I can sell that to myself as one incident, even if moments apart. I’ve “let” it go and they’re chuntering on about me to the world. If during the advantage they went and scythed someone down, fine, it’s YY as two clearly separate incidents. Same as, if a disgruntled player calls you a Fing C, then a Fing C, and finally a FFFFFFING Cheating C… that’s one sanction (on the field, anyway), not a red red red. If a player shirt pulls, advantage, then hacks another fella down, easy sell as TWO yellows. The dissent… more dissent… as per the OP, to me, I can justify one sanction.

If you clearly communicate the first sin bin offence, what are you going to do if you stop play in a completely different place for the second offence?
Penalising just one offence wouldn't make sense.
More likely to happen in countries that don't just use sin bins for dissent.

Major point of this post was highlighting the risk of playing an advantage when a player will have to go off which is a less established principle for red card offences.

Would love to hear from other officials who operate where temporary dismissals are used for offences other than dissent.

Back