RefLive

Advantage and offside

Discussion in 'Match Incidents' started by McTavish, Oct 7, 2017.

1. UKColt

UKColt Active Member Level 7 Referee

County FA/Organisation:
    London
    This is an interesting discussion. Just looking at my observations (7-6) and found the following comment:

"You made numerous advantage calls which were correct in terms of hand signals and strong verbal communication, one notable piece of good refereeing was in the 41st minute where H2 pulled back the Away attacker, you waited before making a rash decision and when no advantage accrued you brought play back for the correct decision."

So, this is one where I used the 'wait and see' approach and got marked up by the observer which, at 7-6, seems to run contrary to the advice from Rusty. While @RustyRef has said he wouldn't mark down for it, presumably there is an observer who would, so I could do exactly the same thing in two games and get marked up in one and down in the other!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RefLive Advertisement RefLive

RefLive
  4. zarathustra

zarathustra Well-Known Member Level 6 Referee

County FA/Organisation:
    Kent
    I asked my observer about this on Saturday has I pulled play back for the free kick before signalling the advantage.

Admittedly the time between the foul and pulling play back was no more than 2-3 seconds.

He was happy enough with it and said that we should signal advantage immediately, but some times a short delay is good.

Personally you do need a short delay, as you do need a small amount of time to assess whether there is the possibility of an advantage accruing.

5. Ganajin

Ganajin Well-Known Member Level 3 Referee

County FA/Organisation:
    FootballWest
    Here in Australia we are told that we can play advantage one of two ways:
    1 Call advantage right away if a clear advantage is present. If we do this we are discouraged from pulling play back afterwards.
    2 Wait a second or two, then if advantage accrues, call "advantage" ( to let the players know you saw the offence ), if not, blow for the free kick.
    In the penalty area, system 2 should always be used.

6. RustyRef

RustyRef Moderator Staff Member

That will probably come down to a combination of the experience, common sense, and dare I say age of your observer. The more modern observers, especially those operating at L3 or above, are likely to support you. Get a dinosaur and who knows what they will do.

The safest approach is to immediately signal, as then they can't really criticise you.

lincs22 and UKColt like this.
  7. A Freethinker

A Freethinker Well-Known Member

Used the delayed option in the advantage makes perfect sense...."possession isn't an advantage"