A&H

Additional Assistants

Status
Not open for further replies.
They stand there to cover that 'half' of the pitch if you like - from the penalty spot to touchline. If you watch the referee in these games, he is always on the other side of the pitch, so that the other two officials have there half. If the ball goes to the other side of the box, the ref is there, but he doesn't need to be at the other side because he has his two officials. Around the box, that is the position nearly always taken up - opposite side of the box to the two officials.

The Referee Store
much better a referee in each half, i'd say - only requires one extra official and easier to keep up with play. consistency of decision making from one half to the other might be an issue. tried it a couple of times in a friendly at u13 and u14 level. worked well

One thing I've never understood about AARs is why they stand on the same side as the AR. As a trio surely they would be able to see more if they were on opposite sides of the goal? That way it would form a triangle, similar to that used for mass confrontation.
They were originally on the other side because I asked a select group AR this very question an he gave me a very logical answer but I can't remember what it was :rolleyes:

I asked a select group ref about this and he said they basically referee the match from behind the goal. Say for example two players are running towards the goal line the AAR might be watching the feet, whilst the R watches the upper body. Communication is key obviously. Pretty sure he also said something about at times the AR and AAR are pretty much doing everything cos they have best angles and the R is looking for infringements away from the ball (cant think of the example he used of this but he did mention it)

The AAR stands on the same side as the AR because the referees where complaining that they interfered with the diagonal run

I''ve seen interviews with both Pierre Luigi Colllina and Howard Webb who seem to think there is room for both Systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back