A&H

Academy football

jack.prescott

Work hard, stay humble
Level 6 Referee
Been appointed to my first academy game this Sunday for burton albion, although it's a home game they play in Loughborough *insert confused face*

Just wondering what other peoples experiences of academy football are?

The Referee Store
That it's much better than grassroots!!

Where ever I've seen academy football, the set up is usually very good. The players are usually better behaved, and if not, remind them that they are there to play football, especially at academy level, so concentrate more on the football etc etc. The football is obviously of a higher standard, and so I find there are less fouls, and that if there are, they would rather have an advantage, or take a quick free kick, unless near the box. I also try and play advantage if the balls with the back four, because the coaches usually want them to try and play out of it.

I enjoy the academy games more than grassroots football. Just go out and enjoy it!

No problem.

Just the one at the minute, Oldham Athletic, but I have been to a few different ones.

I felt that some of the academy players though feel as if they have already made it as superstars, just make sure that you let them know you're incharge and will make the decisions. They can get a bit lippy IMO for that reason but just pull them aside and normally they'll stop because the Player Development Officers at their club is quite strict if any players got cautioned for dissent etc. They dont want to get into trouble.

What academy are you at? I don't really have that problem, sometimes from players that play at clubs that are a higher level in the football league, they think they are better because the club they play for is higher placed, but that means nothing in academy games, it doesn't matter. It's true that they don't want to get into trouble, but usually man management makes sure the players know that you are in charge as you said.

Glad to hear that you've got one mate, I had my first academy match in December, really enjoyed it. I over estimated it a bit, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. If you are refing just make sure that you find out any different rules, ( eg. When i was at SUFC they didn't give yellow and red cards, it was something to do with development, personally I don't get it because I think that discipline is a part of football and the kids need to learn from their mistakes.):confused:

Good luck and have fun!

Yeah, we also have the rule of no cards. I think that they do need to learn from their mistakes as you said, and also I think it prepares them more for when they begin to progress up the ages, and gets them used to discipline at a younger age for when they are older.

Swansea academy also say no cards but if you ask them to take a player off they will do it with no arguments usually. I use the following line;
Your player has commited a foul worthy of a red card and I am giving you the following options
1) Sub the player off, can't return for 20 minutes (They play 80 mins total) however another foul worthy of a red card will result in the player being dismissed.
2) With your agreement I can send him off anyway (Rarely taken)
3) None of the above, refuse both and I'm sending him off regardless (Stupid option)

I don't do academies but I'm struggling to understand this. Although in all of the junior/youth games I've done I've never had to use the cards but that's because literally nothing has happened in them. If something is worthy of a red card (especially a bad tackle) then surely it warrants actually showing the card? If they are academy players then presumably some will make it pro and some will play in the lower leagues when their older, how are they expected to know what is and isn't a bad challenge if they're not being punished for it?

They get dealt with by the academy usually and punished as appropriate

must admit that i'm surprised at this too.

are the academies by-passing normal f.a. procedures or do different rules apply to them

are these internal matches between club players or are these matches against other academies

Last edited:
I don't think that they're by-passing FA rules - you can still caution or dismiss players, it's just that academies don't feel that it would benefit players. To be honest, I've never had a reason to ask a coach to take a player off. These are matches against other academies.

The rules are not different for academies, but because it's non competitive games, they do not count with CFA rules at some levels, e.g. you as a ref can wear coloured shirts. I know at younger age groups, even at U10, I'm asked to apply the offside rule, but only for a few yards or more. This is because they want players to make the runs, hence them only wanting to be a few yards or more offside, but they also want them to get used to the offside rule. Academy football is all about developing the players to be the best that they can, so they do whatever they can to help with the development.

Last edited:
Haha! Not a problem! I much prefer academy games to grassroots football!

do they pay well - in relation to youth / open adult leagues

just wondering

They it pays quite well. What do you get payed for adult leagues?

I get more for an U10 game than I would an U16 in a league game.

leagues i do, youth is £22 for ref plus travel, haven't done adult yet, think it's £34 plus travel

schools and colleges £25 all in

I need to move to Sussex! Highest I can get for youth is £20! The U17+ in £25! From U10-12 in £25 in this academy, not sure about other age groups. I just take whatever's in the envelope!

Back