A&H

30 seconds when injured…

WalterPinkman

Apologies if has already been posted. Unless I’m missing it in the LOTG, am I right in thinking that players having to go off for a minimum of 30 seconds after being injured is only PL/EFL guidance and is not actually in the LOTG? I cannot find it anywhere in the LOTG.

The Referee Store
Apologies if has already been posted. Unless I’m missing it in the LOTG, am I right in thinking that players having to go off for a minimum of 30 seconds after being injured is only PL/EFL guidance and is not actually in the LOTG? I cannot find it anywhere in the LOTG.
This is just an PL and EFL directive and is not something that should be implemented at NLS or grassroots levels

What modification?

The only provision in law is:

"may only re-enter after play has restarted"

And this directive does not modify this.
Well it modifies it to be 30 seconds. If it didn’t change the law it wouldn’t need to be “added to the competition rules.” 😙

If it walks like a duck . . .

You can only say it isn’t a modification by being cute. It modifies the referee’s discretion under the Laws. If they said 5 minutes or until the next stoppage, no one would even debate whether it was a modification—itks only because it’s minor that we try to pretend it isn’t. That said, this is no more of a tweak than things like directing referees not to raise the foul bar for PKs. That isn’t consistent with the Laws either. But this kind of guidance tweak has been tolerated by IFB/FIFA--until the decide they don’t like something and advise that it shouldn’t be done. I would imagine they are sitting with this one to see how it goes, and it may be implemented into the magic book if they like the results.

I think it would be a good idea to mandate that a player returning from injury, can only do so during a stoppage
Tactically, it must mess up the pro teams when a player returns randomly to an unexpected area of the FOP

AND.... I've been done twice in observations for mistiming my permission for a player to return. It's an easy mistake to make

I'd be all for this. If the team a player short want them back on so desperately, they have plenty of options to get play stopped.
They won't do it though because a player with say, a head injury, might mask the injury because they won't want the physio on
In fact physios might find themselves suddenly out of a job!

They won't do it though because a player with say, a head injury, might mask the injury because they won't want the physio on
In fact physios might find themselves suddenly out of a job!
I don‘t think they will make that change either, but I think the reason is more about tradition than concerns players won’t get treatment.

Back