A&H

2017/18 Law changes

The Referee Store
So sin bins ARE here. And the thread about dismissing a physio now answered in law.

All seems pretty decent to me with the exception of sin bin in grassroots (but we'll see what guidance they issue as to how that works). Mostly sensible changes, good updated guidance for offsides - nice introduction of 'everything the ref says, goes' too.

As was discussed in the physio thread, I'm worried that this suggest if a physio decides to continually hurl abuse at you, your only response is to put in more and more post-match misconduct reports.

I don't see why we should be expected to take the abuse just because that particular person has a first aid qualification. If it gets to a point where we deem it necessary, we should be empowered to send him away and the club should then suffer the penalties for causing an abandonment if they can't then provide alternate medical support. I'm concerned that this new law seems to state that the only thing we're allowed to do is report him post-match?

Also, I'm wondering what the logic is for removing the caution for subs made at half time? In many leagues, referees are asked to report which subs are used - and if teams are now essentially allowed to make a switch at half time without telling the ref, that just seems to be designed to make our lives harder?

Doubt the FA will go for it but 10 minutes in the Sin Bin for dissent could be an interesting one for example, I think it would reduce moaning after a few weeks into the season!

Also, I'm wondering what the logic is for removing the caution for subs made at half time? In many leagues, referees are asked to report which subs are used - and if teams are now essentially allowed to make a switch at half time without telling the ref, that just seems to be designed to make our lives harder?

You could just check with each team prior to starting the 2nd half whether theyve made any subs.

I always ask anyway just in case, issued a yellow card to a sub for entering the fop without permission at half time, no one had told me and I probably wouldn't have noticed until I had to speak to him (he was being a dxck), was harsh but the manager was told quite clearly it was his fault as he hadn't informed me! Bring on the sin bin!

You could just check with each team prior to starting the 2nd half whether theyve made any subs.
I usually do, primarily because I'd rather avoid having to give a caution for something so petty. But I don't like the idea that this becomes the referees problem if they don't do this or forget to do it, rather than the players problem as it currently is.

I like the sin bin idea, although giving the lad holding the flag with a fag and a bottle of harp a third job of timing it might be too much.

To be fair, grassroots rugby has used sin bins for a while and I've never seen much of an issue with it - then again, players do show the ref a tad more respect in rugby.

LAW 4 – THE PLAYERS’ EQUIPMENT • Goalkeeper caps are not included in the list of restrictions on head covers • Players are not permitted to wear/use any electronic or communication equipment, except electronic performance and tracking systems/EPTS); technical staff may only use communication equipment for safety/welfare issues • All EPTS equipment must bear a minimum safety standard mark

does this mean things like fitbits are allowed?

it certainly reads like that @Mr Mo , but i think its atually referring to the FIFA approved devices which arent worn on the wrist.

it may be referring to that......but black and white defiantly reads red here! it could be read in several ways and or points towords several devises. could make interesting conversations during a season! (sorry pal you cant wear a fitbit blaze.......but a flex is OK):rolleyes:

LAW 4 – THE PLAYERS’ EQUIPMENT • Goalkeeper caps are not included in the list of restrictions on head covers • Players are not permitted to wear/use any electronic or communication equipment, except electronic performance and tracking systems/EPTS); technical staff may only use communication equipment for safety/welfare issues • All EPTS equipment must bear a minimum safety standard mark

does this mean things like fitbits are allowed?
Does the Fitbit have the specific FIFA-approved safety mark on it? I suspect not and if so, not allowed.

Just double checking I've got this one right

Attacker in offside position commits a foul challenging opponent it is offside, but if he gets fouled before ball gets to him, its a foul?

FIFA doesn't go around approving EPTS devices nor does it intend to do so. What it is concerned about is how they are worn and how the data is used. It also has the existing concerns about player safety as described in Law 4.
Therefore a Fitbit may be used as long as it isn't worn with a wrist strap or an insecure clip-on device but, is securely, appropriately and safely strapped to the player.
Besides in terms of EPTS devices, a Fitbit is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

In a sense, yes. In my opinion, it looks as though FIFA is more concerned with how the data is collected, analysed and used. I think they are fearful of real time analysis of data giving a team a tactical advantage over another with the suggestion that this would be purely driven by who has the most money.
And then there's the concern over data security, confidentiality and use by third parties or hackers.

Back