A&H

1st assessment

svenny76

RefChat Addict
Hi folks!!

Just got off the phone to the assessor and I have my 1st assessment for next seasons promotion.
Starting to feel nervous already, crazy as I'm never nervous before a game!!

Any one have any tips for 7-6 promotion assessments??

Cheers

Simon

The Referee Store
Don't throw away marks on the basics of pitch and equipment inspections.

Relax, it's just another game. Do you normal thing. It'll be fine.

Look at the assessor competencies - there is a assessors handbook on here, which has them on. Then you know what the assessor is looking out for.

Good luck:)

Correct me if I'm wrong all the assessors on here, but I think they also want to see you deal with dissent.

I have been told about the stepped approach, quite word, public dress down, caution.

Do not use the stepped approach for dissent. Dissent = caution. Stepped approach is for persistent infringement, i.e. repeat low level penal offences by the same player

Do not use the stepped approach for dissent. Dissent = caution. Stepped approach is for persistent infringement, i.e. repeat low level penal offences by the same player

Thanks for correcting me Brian will now be using the yellow more. Although I normally have a high tollarance level I think I need to deal with dissent more as when it comes to being assessed I will let a lot go otherwise

Brian, at what point would you, as an assessor, say that dissent becomes dissent. It's one of those many things in football where varying levels of tolerance amongst referees lead to varying responses to 'dissent'. Are assessors given guidelines on what constitutes dissent or, as with referees, do tolerance levels and responses vary.

Last edited:
Well 1st assessment done. I think it went well, he said it was an absolute pleasure to watch, he was really impressed with my match control and application of law, communication was spot on, if I lost weight (I'm a fat git) and got fitter then I'll have a really bright future. Which was really good to hear (as a very over weight 37 year old!!).

There were a few developmentals, I didn't brief a replacement AR, over use of play on, I forgot to indicate indirect for an offside, so nothing major I don't think.

I'll see what the report says next week!!

Good work fella.

Having put myself through a lot of work over the summer around my fitness and weight I can tell you the impact it has had on my refereeing this season has been huge. Having just turned 38 it was a commitment, but one which was well worth it and led to me enjoying my refereeing a lot more.

I scraped through what would equate roughly in the English system to 7-6 promotion last season. Hoping to get my 3b this season (English 5 very rough equivalent)

Well 1st assessment done. I think it went well, he said it was an absolute pleasure to watch, he was really impressed with my match control and application of law, communication was spot on, if I lost weight (I'm a fat git) and got fitter then I'll have a really bright future. Which was really good to hear (as a very over weight 37 year old!!).

There were a few developmentals, I didn't brief a replacement AR, over use of play on, I forgot to indicate indirect for an offside, so nothing major I don't think.

I'll see what the report says next week!!
Sounds like you were nervous for nothing then? :D

Be sure to post your assessment when you get it

Brian, at what point would you, as an assessor, say that dissent becomes dissent. It's one of those many things in football where varying levels of tolerance amongst referees lead to varying responses to 'dissent'. Are assessors given guidelines on what constitutes dissent or, as with referees, do tolerance levels and responses vary.
Dissent is any protest which exceeds the referee's tolerance level and/or is obvious that it is a protest. So loud shouts from a distance need to be dealt with. The most obvious dissent of this type is the waving around of arms, usually accompanied by a verbal protest. If something is said from a few feet away and is unheard by anyone more than say 10 feet away, then this type of situation can be managed. If however the arms are being waved around, then the referee needs to take action. If it is very obvious, the only course of action is to caution.

Back