A&H

10 yards

Free kicks are to benefit the attack, not the defence. You have no right to prevent the attacking team from taking a quick free kick.

With all due respect @CapnBloodbeard for a free kick on the edge of the penalty area, I am taking full control of it, straight away (i.e. I am on top of the ball, and communicating clearly). I will not be allowing a quick FK.

Why makes things hard for yourself? I'd rather a few moans (if any) from the attacking side for not allowing their quick free kick (which, on the whole, are rarely allowed, so they are clutching at straws), in comparison to complete uproar from the defending team after a quick FK from which a goal was scored.

Of course, my post could be misleading with regards to "attacking free kick" - by all means, quick free kicks will not be prevented if they: 1) are not in the immediate vicinity of the penalty area, 2) will not affect match control by allowing it. So my apologies for any misunderstanding here!

The Referee Store
We've previously had a vigorous debate about the pros and cons of quick free kicks around the Penalty Area. I think the eventual consensus was that we should give attacking teams every chance to go quickly before we arrive on the scene of the crime (it is their right to do this after all and we should be on 'their side' as they are the ones offended against) but that once we're right on top of it, then simpler / safer to make clear to all concerned that it's on the whistle. Sems like a decent compromise to me ....

I am glad @Russell Jones has stopped that one in its tracks as i was getting a major case of de-ja-vu then, although my opinion differs from his......;)

Going right back to the OP. For me it is very very simple, if i say its 10 yards, its 10 yards, count my paces, doubt me, get a ruler out, i couldn't care less. Thats 10 yards fella's now crack on.:)

Coaching advice for free kick management:
  • Never place a wall on the penalty area line. If it looks like you're heading that way, make a nice and big number 10 step - taking them inside.
    • Give them the usual spiel - "you're in the area lads, arms done, don't do anything stupid"
This is strange, on my course I was told to shorten steps to prevent a penalty. They said why go through the process of a penalty when you can prevent it by taking a slightly shorter 10th pace.

This is strange, on my course I was told to shorten steps to prevent a penalty. They said why go through the process of a penalty when you can prevent it by taking a slightly shorter 10th pace.
The point is, you don't want it on the line. Make it clearly in the area or clearly out, and make it clear (either way) what will happen if the ball hits a hand in a suspicious position.

The point is, you don't want it on the line. Make it clearly in the area or clearly out, and make it clear (either way) what will happen if the ball hits a hand in a suspicious position.
Yeah, I've always understood that, I just find it strange that anyone would take them into the box when you can leave them out.

Coaching advice for free kick management:
  • Seen a lot of "10 yds for me is 12 steps etc..." on this thread. All I would say, is that when marking out the 10 yards, you want to adjust the size of your steps, so that you use 10 only.
    • Spectators, managers etc... will be counting your steps, not how big they are. You make 12 steps = "That's not 10 ref!")
  • Use your pitch markings to your advantage. Foul on the centre mark? Easy - they've got to take a position similar to kick off
  • Never place a wall on the penalty area line. If it looks like you're heading that way, make a nice and big number 10 step - taking them inside.
    • Give them the usual spiel - "you're in the area lads, arms done, don't do anything stupid"
  • Remember players need to be 10 yards away - this is a radius. Be aware of those players 1 or 2 yards to the side, or behind the penalty area and manage accordingly.
    • Of course, the exceptions being free kicks on the '6-yard line' where players have to be 10 yards, or behind the line; or where a quick free kick is taken and the game continues swiftly.
  • Never pace a wall out backwards. Your priority is the main mass of players. Instead periodically look over your shoulder to ensure the ball hasn't moved.
  • Never walk straight into the wall or place your arm up and hit it. Instead walk out the yards, once you've hit the wall, go to the side, and communicate. "That's 8 fellas, stick with me please. 9... 10... Thank you chaps"
  • Any attacking free kick is ceremonial, and on my whistle. I.e. I'm not letting a quick free kick being taken.

Agree with most of that, but not the first bullet. I could just about get away with it without looking silly at 5'9", but if someone like Keith Stroud did exactly 10 paces he would look totally ridiculous. If anyone questions it you just say "sorry, I've got short legs", and or if you are 6'7" and only need 8 steps you say the opposite.

Otherwise you risk ending up with this ...!

I m 6 foot 7 - Everytime... "they are big steps ref!"

These are my little steps, next time I will show you my big steps! :)

Yeah, I've always understood that, I just find it strange that anyone would take them into the box when you can leave them out.
Agree. Especially if you give your match control a higher priority over the rights of the team with the free kick ;)

I find a bit of mismatch of priorities if you don't allow a QFK but set the wall further than 10 yards inside the PA. I guess that's one way of balancing the injustice :)

I find a bit of mismatch of priorities if you don't allow a QFK but set the wall further than 10 yards inside the PA. I guess that's one way of balancing the injustice :)

But if 10yds falls pretty much bang on the edge of the penalty area then you need to make sure the wall is either definitely in or out of the area.

This means that you either need to have the wall at a little less than 10yds or a little more.

It's personal preference, but if the 10yds is just out side the area I'll shuffle the wall forwards a touch so they are definitely out of it. If the wall is more or less on the line then I move them back so they are definitely in the area.

I've never had any problems, doing it this way, and if the wall is in the area and someone does something stupid and gives away a penalty then they've only got themselves to blame.

Back